Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Concert Review: Amanda Blank, fierce and pants-less


I got to Terrace just a couple minutes late for Amanda Blank's performance last Thursday night, but the room was already packed. I had to push my way to the front just to get a good glimpse of her in her dark leotard and hot boots. Then, there she was, pants-less and totally charismatic. Blank performed almost completely alone, rapping along to a DJ with a simple loop machine behind her. The crowd was eating it up. For a musician that’s still relatively unknown (every time I asked one of my friends if they were going to see her, the response was, "Amanda who?"), Ms. Blank came across like a star. People seemed energized by how much fun she was having on stage and were drawn in by her lack of inhibition and blatantly sexed-up lyrics. The show’s highlight came when Blank told off the Terrace bouncers for keeping the students away from her. She paused mid-rap, and assured them, “No, it's fine. I don't care." I look forward to Blank’s next performance at Princeton and a chance to be impressed again with her immaculately delivered rhymes and outrageous persona. In the meantime, be sure to check out her debut album "I Love You."

-Jess Turner '12

No comments: