Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Study Spaces: Lewis Library

With only two weeks of classes left, it's about time I studied in the Lewis Library. Whenever somebody mentions this colorful, relatively-new study space, I imagine having to hike miles to get here. But in reality, it's one of the only places on campus that you can get to from Whitman without walking up or downhill. So this evening, I happily strolled from my room to Lewis and settled in at one of the tables in the "tree-house."

If you've never been to this library, you should definitely check it out. Just as there are times when it is nice to revel in a historical study space, there are also days when it feels good to be in a place that is bright and fresh. I don't have to acclaim the Lewis Library's facilities - just a glance at its website and you'll quickly learn that it contains 29 carrels, 9 study rooms, and 104 lockers. But more practically, on all floors, there are wide tables with modern-looking reading lamps and accessible outlets, plenty of armchairs, and as I'm sure most of you are aware, a "tree-house" (ie., reading room with lots of windows so that you're looking out onto the trees). Plus, the elevators in the library are super-fast.

The first time I came here, it was long after the library first opened, and I felt silly poking around, trying to figure out where I was going. That reminds me of why I'm writing this blog. There are so many great places on campus that we might never see unless we seek them out. For the first time today, I saw the fourth floor vis arts studio at 185 Nassau Street, and at some point, I'm going have to peek into the lab where one of my close friends spends so much of her time. With such sentimentality, it feels like I should be wrapping up this blog for the semester. But I'll be back next week. Maybe by then, you'll have discovered a place on campus that you had never seen before. If you do, let me know!

Lewis Library Hours:

Monday-Thursday, 8:30 am-2:00 am
Friday, 8:30 am-12:00 am
Saturday, 9:00 am-12:00 am
Sunday: 9:00 am-2:00 am

- Meghan Todt '11

No comments: