Monday, April 12, 2010

Trend of the Week: April 12, 2010


Spring has sprung! And of all the things that I can get excited about (fashion-wise, and otherwise), spring shoes are particularly high on my list. After carefully observing the footwear choices of my fellow Princetonians, I bring you the trend of the week: nude-colored flats.

After months of tucking our poor, over-walked feet into thick, wooly socks and big, sturdy boots, the time has come to expose our lovely feet to the sun. And that doesn’t necessarily mean the toes have to come out: flats provide the perfect modest exposure, especially fitting for the up-and-down weather of late.

So what is it about this neutral color that seems to be taking over the ballet flats of Princeton? For one, it’s time to ditch those somber winter hues in favor of light, airy shades. Nudes/skin-colors reflect this favorable change in weather. Also, neutral certainly doesn’t mean boring, as the women in these photos demonstrate. Gold grommets, bows, or a slight sparkle appropriately spice up skin-toned footwear. Also, you may not realize it, but wearing shoes that blend into the color of your skin make your legs look significantly longer. Want to look like you have never-ending gams? Go for nude-colored shoes.

If you want help jumping on the neutral flat bandwagon, look no further than London Sole, my favorite ballet flat maker – I’m a fan of the “beige ponyhair” ones pictured. I’m adding them to my spring shoe wish list immediately.

-Allie Weiss '13

No comments: