Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Study Spaces: Friend Center

It’s clear that I’ve been favoring the humanities’ libraries. So today, after ballet class at 185 Nassau, I figured that it would be convenient to head over to the Friend Center – to be fair to all of the engineers out there.

I have studied here before. Freshman fall, my Spanish class met on the third floor, and I sometimes worked in the library afterwards. Come to think of it, that was quite an interesting class. I was the only girl out of ten students. But that has nothing to do with studying in Friend this afternoon. Right now, the library is quiet and crowded, and I’m wondering how to take a picture for this post without disturbing anyone and looking like a complete weirdo. (I usually write, take the picture, revise, then post.)

In terms of accommodations, Friend is a great place to study. There seems to be every possible option of tables, couches, carrel-like desks, and armchairs, each with easily accessible lights and outlets. I do think it’s odd that some of the desks make you face just one other person, but that doesn’t seem to stop people from coming here. (At the moment, all of these desks are occupied, but only on one side.)

Friend is also noteworthy because it is one of the few study spaces on Princeton’s campus that is open past midnight – until 2 am. Interestingly enough, I think I have seen more students sleeping in this library than in any other.

But I, for some unknown reason, always feel distracted here. Today, I suppose it’s because my mind is trying to sprint between midterm papers, JP drafting, and thoughts about room draw (typical Princeton sentiment, I know). But whatever the reason, it’s telling me that I need to wrap this up and get out of here. In the next couple of days I’m going to be doing some interviews and reviews for Intersections and Street, so stay tuned!


Friend Center: Engineering Library Hours

Monday-Thursday, 8:30 am-2:00 am

Saturday, 9:00 am-9:00 pm

Sunday, 1:00 pm-2:00 am


- Meghan Todt ‘11

No comments: