Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Study Spaces: Marquand Library

With the glorious weather we’ve been having, all I want to do is be outside. But whenever I try to study outdoors, I find that the concept is better in theory than in practice. So today I’ve chosen the next best thing: studying in Marquand.

Although I’ve been to the Art Museum, I had never ventured into Marquand before. I feel that it’s one of the quintessential Princeton libraries, like Firestone, which somehow makes it untouchable. (Don’t worry - I’ve been in Firestone! Many, many times.)

But now I sit with the most perfect scene before me: Nassau Hall, East Pyne, and Murray Dodge. This definitely gets my vote for library with the best view. I always thought that it would be weird to sit in full view of everyone strolling along McCosh Walk. But really, people are wrapped up enough in their own lives to want to watch others study.

In addition to the idyllic view, there is something very elegant about Marquand itself. I particularly like the dark wood of the tables and shelves. The chairs are nice and high, and there’s plenty of room to spread out. On the first floor alone, there are seven large tables, six computers, four armchairs, and outlets built into the lamps on the tables (finally!).

For those of you who haven’t been to Marquand before, be forewarned that your bags are checked when you enter. Monica Greco’s column in the Prince last month made me expect something of the sort. But somehow I ended up carrying around three bags today – one with books, another with ballet clothes, and another from a CVS run. The people at the front desk must love me.

You may also have noticed that the photo for this week is a bit different, lacking a certain blogger with a random one-armed shrug. There are a good number of other students in Marquand today, and I don’t want to disturb them as they study for midterms. Good luck on your exams and papers, everyone, and I’ll see you after break!


Marquand Library Hours

Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-11:45 pm


Saturday, 10:00 am-10:45 pm


Sunday, 12:00 pm-11:45 pm


- Meghan Todt ‘11

No comments: